Sat, Sep 30|
Community Discussion: Afrofuturism, Its Relevance in Today's Environment & the Path Forward for Artists
With insight from Tracy Murrell, Marcus Williams, rEN Dillard, and Clint Fluker
Time & Location
Sep 30, 4:00 PM
East Point, 2148 Newnan St, East Point, GA 30344, USA
About the Event
Enjoy this Wednesday Writers Workshop as part of the current Afrofuturism exhibit, "The Haunts of Black Kirby." On view through Oct. 28.
- Community Discussion: “Afrofuturism, Its Relevance in Today's Environment and the Path Forward for Artists.” Panelists are visual artists Tracy Murrell, Marcus Williams, rEN Dillard, and curator Clint Fluker. Moderated by Ric Washington. All ages. 4 pm. FREE.
Presented in partnership with the Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library
Black Kirby—the pseudonym assumed by the acclaimed visual artists and professors, John Jennings and Stacey Robinson—are Alchemists. They take raw materials from black history, hip hop, and comic book mythology and remix them to create new universes, never-before seen technologies, and biting satires about the world we live in today. Each of the Black Kirby images serves as a funky, rare artifact from an alternate universe, fully formed, and autonomous from its earthly origins.
The works in this exhibition are on loan from the Atlanta University Center (AUC) Robert W. Woodruff Library. The Haunts of Black Kirby is derived from “The Alchemist’s Notebook: The Satire, Remixes, and Haunts of Black Kirby”, an exhibition organized by the AUC Woodruff Library in 2019. It featured more than fifty digital artworks by Black Kirby and artifacts from the AUC Woodruff Library’s Archives Research Center exploring the topics of Black history, hip-hop, and comic book mythology.
SCHEDULE OF EXHIBIT EVENTS:
• Sept 13 Learn more about Procreate software. Bring your iPad, iPhone, or digital tablet.
Led by Tracy Murrell. Ages 14 and up. 6:00 pm, $10
• Sept 16 Community Class: Introduction to Comic Book Illustration for Youth.
Led by Marcus Williams. Ages 10 and up. 1:00 pm, FREE
• Sept 27 Ekphrastic Poetry* in the Gallery
ArtsXchange Wednesday Writer’s Workshop, Led by Theresa Davis. All Ages. 7 pm, FREE
• Sept 30 Community Discussion: Afrofuturism, Its Relevance in Today's Environment
and the Path Forward for Artists. Panelist: Visual artists Tracy Murrell, Marcus Williams,
rEN Dillard, and curator Clint Fluker. Moderated by Ric Washington. All Ages. 4 pm, FREE
• Oct 4 Archival Special Viewing: "Afro-Surrealism, The Negritude Movement,
and the Archival Roots of Afrofuturism” will take place at the AUC Woodruff Library
Archives Research Center, 111 James P Brawley Dr. SW, Atlanta, GA 30314.
All Ages, 5-7pm FREE
• Oct 7 Community Class: Intermediate Illustration Class for Adults.
Led by Marcus Williams. Ages 16 and up. 1:00 pm, $10
• Oct 11 Community Class: Experience the process of creating a piece of Afrofuturistic artwork .
Led by rEN Dillard. Ages 21 and up. 6:00 pm, $10
• Oct 14 Creative Feedback & Career Lab: For Projects in Progress.
Led by Marcus Williams, rEN Dillard, and Tracy Murrell. All Ages. 4:00 pm, FREE
• Oct 25 Ekphrastic Poetry* in the Gallery
ArtsXchange Wednesday Writer’s Workshop, Led by Theresa Davis.
All Ages. 7 pm, FREE
*An ekphrastic poem is a vivid description of a work of art, narrating and reflecting on the “action” of a painting.
Suspend your disbelief with me for a moment. Imagine the alchemists at work in their lair. Watch as they use a set of rusty tools to handle raw, crude materials and melt them down to more malleable forms. As they carefully mix the isolated substances together, listen as they whisper a forgotten tongue from a dusty leather-bound notebook. When the ritual is over and the notebook has been cast aside into the shadows, you witness the substance start to stir. As it twists and turns in the immense heat, you smell the stench of a hot fusion that breathes life into a new creation, indeed a new element, that has never existed before. This new element is the art of Black Kirby, and this exhibition provides a peek into their notebook of esoteric spells.
- Clint Fluker, Ph.D.